The civil Parish of St Mary in the Marsh comprises of the villages of St Mary in the Marsh, in the heart of Romney Marsh, and St Mary's Bay, to its east on the south east Kent coast.
St Mary's Bay has a vibrant community centering around its Village Hall, with a wide range of activities for all ages. There is a long sandy beach which stretches north to Dymchurch and south to Littlestone, attracting many thousands of visitors each year. The beach provides safe bathing for most people with its fine sandy beach that goes out about half a mile at low tide.
Contacting The Parish Council
The Parish Council
The first Parish Meeting was held on 4 December 1895. On 20 April 1934, there was the first meeting of the St.Mary's and All Saints Parish Council. The first meeting of the St. Mary in the Marsh Parish Council was held on 6 May 1948.
Councillor's responsibility is to bring local issues to the attention of the council and help it make decisions on behalf of the local community.
For a complete list of Councillors elected since 1934, please click here.
The current (wef 2 May 2019) Parish Council is:
Cllr Graham Allison (Chairman)
Cllr Terry Wilson (Vice-chair)
Cllr Graham Comber
Cllr Tony Cooper
Cllr Pamela Millen
Cllr Russell Tillson
Cllr Mike Wilson
Mrs Gillian Smith, Parish Clerk
Minutes of Meetings
Minutes of Parish Council meetings are available to read, download and/or print from this website in pdf file format.
Smaller Authorities Transparency Code was introduced on 1 April 2015 and requires the on-line publication of certain information which the Government requests, to provide taxpayers with a clear picture of the authority’s activities and spending.
You can view the audited Annual Governance and Accountability Return
Accessibility requirements for public sector bodies are considered by this council as a disproportionate burden on the grounds of organisational size, manpower and budget. Anyone with an accessibility inquiry should contact the Parish Clerk who will offer assistance where practicable.
Land and Buildings owned by the Parish Council
The Parish Council owns:
the land of the village hall site. The village hall is registered with the custodian of Trustees
the land opposite St. Mary the Virgin Church, St. Mary in the Marsh.
Glebe Land, play park and hut next to St. Mary the Virgin Church, St. Mary in the Marsh.
Recreation Ground, Jefferstone Lane.
St Mary in the Marsh Neighbourhood Plan
St Mary in the Marsh Parish Council has prepared a Neighbourhood Plan, covering the period 2017 to 2028, to provide an opportunity for local people to help shape the approach to the future development of the Parish.
Neighbourhood Plans were introduced in the “Localism Act” 2012. They provide a measure to meet the Government’s aim to give local communities more say in the planning of the places in which they live and work.
This Plan has been prepared through an interactive process with local people and has included public consultation through the use of surveys and public meetings.
Read the St. Mary in the Marsh Neighbourhood Plan.
Contacting the Parish Council
Cllr Graham Allison - Chairman
Mrs Gillian Smith - Parish Clerk
St Mary's Bay
Kent TN29 OSW
Telephone - 01303 874341
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Or submission form opposite